USS Marlin SS-205
The first Marlin (SS‑205), an experimental submarine, was laid down by Portsmouth Navy Yard, Portsmouth, NH., 23 May 1940; launched 29 January 1941; sponsored by Mrs. John D. Wainwright; and commissioned 1 August 1941, Lt. George A. Sharp in command.
After service in the Atlantic Fleet off New London, Conn., for half a year, Marlin departed New London 21 March for Casco Bay, Maine. She arrived the next day for duty with TG 27.1, training new escort vessels in antisubmarine warfare. She returned to New London 18 April, and operated in Long Island Sound through 1942.
On 7 January 1943 the submarine arrived in Casco Bay for further duty with TG 27.1 until the 16th. She then spent the next 21⁄2 years patrolling and training ships off New London and Portsmouth, N.H. On 26 July 1944, while making a submerged practice approach on Chaffee (DE-230), she collided with SC‑642 with slight damage to both ships. In September Marlin kept company with Chetco (AT‑99) on one of her trips from Portsmouth, reaching New London the 10th.
On 25 October Marlin departed New London with Skipjack (SS‑184) for Bridgeport, Conn., arriving that day. Five days later she continued on to Boston, Mass., arriving 31 October. She decommissioned at the Boston Navy Yard 9 November. Marlin was sold 29 March 1946 to Boston Metal Co., Baltimore, Md., for scrapping.